Saturday, August 4, 2007

I Should Have Stayed on the West Coast

On Tuesday night I stayed up til the wee hours of the morning only to watch the Mets botch Tom Glavine's bid for win #300. I had to catch an early flight to California and went to bad angry at the Mets inability to drive in runners in scoring position, and the fact that I lost sleep to watch that horrible game.

As a Mets fan travelling on the West coast, you're pretty much reliant on your cell phone to keep you in touch with games while they're happening. I was shocked, that's right, shocked to see that the Mets went on a tare during my trip to CA. They went 9 for 12 with runners in scoring position in one game! When I heard that I just about passed out.

Then the next day they come from behind to win a game in the ninth by getting clutch hit after clutch hit. Is this the same team I left in New York?

No, it's not. And that's a good thing. This was going to be a key road trip as the Mets faced a very good Brewers club and a Cubs team that is on fire since the All Star break. Champions come through when they need to and the Mets are starting to show that they can be champs.

There's now some breathing room between the Mets and Phils/Braves and confidence is building. There's still two games to go before they return to Shea, but if this offense continues to perform like it has there's no reason why we shouldn't start feeling better about this Mets team.

No comments: