Thursday, August 9, 2007

Moises Alou Comes Through

I'm starting to think this blog has more power than I imagined. The day after I wrote a scathing post calling Moises Alou the official Mets Rally Killer, Alou comes through in the most clutch of situations.

After Castillo tied up the game in the 7th, in the bottom of the 8th Alou pounded a high and inside fastball 402 feet over the left field wall. I'm still not sure how he was able to turn on that pitch and hit it so far. It was pure strength and it came at a time and in a game that the Mets desperately needed a win.

But this isn't the first time I've trashed a player only to have them come out and perform like a champion. I smacked down Marlon Anderson and then he went on a tare against the Dodgers. I ripped apart Shawn Green and now he's got an 9 game hitting streak. I might be on to something.

El Duque pitched really well, but made a few mistakes in the 6th to let the Braves tie the game and take the lead.

And Billy Wagner. Wow. I could have sworn Wagner was going to blow the game after loading the bases with no outs. But then Billy Wagner turned into David Blaine and pulled the most amazing magic trick out of his hat getting Franceour to ground out to third and Andruw Jones to hit into a double play.

Great game and a much, much needed win. Let's hope this carries us into tonight's game so we can finally win a series against the Braves.

No comments: