Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This Is Our Manager

Marty Noble of MLB.com wrote a very interesting piece this morning about the current Mets situation. Here's a blurb that took me by surprise:

This is the middle-of-the road reaction to the pennant race that Randolph spoke about before the game on Monday: "If we smell the roses and sip some champagne, so be it. If not, that's life."

This got me seriously angry. I'm trying to contain myself right now, but it did remind me of a similar quote from 19 years ago. This is the quote from Kevin McReynolds the day of the 7th game of the NLCS against the Dodgers when asked about his thoughts for Game 7. McReynolds replied that either way "he wins." If the Mets won the game, they'd be in the World Series, if they lost he'd be hunting tomorrow. Either way he wins.

It's no wonder that Kevin McReynolds was not appreciated amongst Mets fans. Sure he had some good seasons with us, but that comment was enough to make me detest him.

Now Willie Randolph comes out and says something like that in the middle of a pennant race? You gotta be kidding me. I'm sure the players really want to rally behind him now.

2 comments:

Coop said...

I don't believe you.

I've never been a Willie fan. But he would never ever say anything that blatantly dumb.

...Seriously, you made that up, right? RIGHT???

Ugh. I know he said it. I'm just floating in the river of Da Nile.

bryan said...

Great post. That is incedible that he said that. Wow! willie is gonna get run out of this town if he doesn't straighten out his act.