Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Good Sign for Reyes

I have to admit, I’ve been a little disappointed with Reyes’ season this year. I know it’s not politically correct to criticize one of the cornerstones of the franchise, but truth be told, he has struggled, especially with runners in scoring position. I know he’s stolen like a thousand bases and scored a ton of runs, but he’s just not driving the ball as much. Unlike many people who had him pegged as this year's MVP, I didn't expect him to surpass his performance from last year (no one in the histroy of the game put up all of the offensive #'s he did), but he's better than this.

Last night was a good sign as he had three doubles, two of which were ripped (one might have been a triple had he not thought it was a home run). This is exactly what he needs to do though – drive the ball. We know it, and Jose knows it. That’s why I love this kid. You know it’s killing him that he’s been struggling (for his standards). And give him credit for not letting it affect his defense, as he is as solid as any shortstop in the game. He has so much passion for the game you just want him to do well. He’s my favorite player, and by the time his career is over, he may become my all-time favorite Met (Strawberry & Piazza).

So last night was a good sign for Jose, and an even better sign for Mets fans.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jose did look sharp last night. I wish he'd stop the uppercut swing. When he swing level he can hit to all fields.

Gotta have him on his A game for October.