Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Disclaimer to Mets Fans

Please, please, I beg of you, do not reach for foul balls if you sit in the first couple of rows on the field level. Last night, in the 4th inning, David Wright just missed a foul pop because someone was jumping for the ball, essentially getting in Wright’s way (I can’t blame the little kid there, but someone should pull him away – buy him a jersey for his sacrifice). The ball dropped and the next pitch by El Duque was lined for a 2 run single and the Braves tacked on 5 runs after that play. (My apologies, but I was a little distracted as I was playing with my 2 year old daughter while the game was on, so I had the volume down and I don’t know what the three amigos in the SNY booth were saying about it, or how exactly the inning unraveled from that moment). If Wright could have caught that ball there would have been one out, and Texiera would not have hit a 3 run homer later in the inning when there were two outs.

The Mets probably would have lost anyway, so it’s not that big of a deal. It’s more important that this doesn’t happen in the post season. Look no further than Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS to see what can happen. Mosies Alou can tell you all aout it.

So, please, unless someone on the Mets hits the foul ball, don’t try to catch it, get out of the way. I’ll personally mail you a box of baseballs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was the kid's dad that got in the way so there's no excuse for a grown man not to know better. The Mets should release a public service announcement about staying out of fielders' way before every game.