If you thought Friday's loss was tough, Saturday was even tougher. Although losing does give us a chance to learn some things. Here's what I've learned:
1. The umpires don't like the Mets - Is it just me? Haven't we seen more questionable calls this year than any in recent memory? First Lo Duca on Friday, but Marlon Anderson's called third strike on Saturday was ridiculous. THE BALL WAS IN THE OTHER BATTER'S BOX! I was irate from my couch. I can't imagine the fury inside Marlon Anderson. I was very disappionted that Willie Randolph didn't go out there and argue with a little more gusto. That was a ridiculous call and unfortunately I'm sure it won't be the last.
2. Pedro Feliciano should only pitch one inning - 3 outs. That's all we need from Feliciano, and boy did he get them. Struck out possibly the most potent 3 hitters on any team right now in Utley, Burrell & Howard. But we pushed it by sending him back out in the 8th. And Rowand showed us why. Feliciano has been stellar, but 3 outs is his limit.
3. The Adam Wainwright curse continues - This team can't hit a hanging curve. David Wright got fooled on a couple, and Beltran did as well. Brent Myers threw some beautiful pitches, but it seems that every time there's a big situation and the pitcher throws a hanging curve, we're in trouble.
4. Never steal third with Wright up and 2 outs - I love seeing Reyes run, but his attempt at stealing third with 2 out and Wright up was uncalled for. It turned out to be some runs we desperately needed. I'm sure he's learned his lesson.
5. Guillermo Mota has dirt on Willie Randolph - Mota must have some unflattering pictures or some seriously dirty laundry on Willie Randolph because there's no reason for him to ever pitch in another game this year. Yet with runners on base and the Mets already having given up 3 runs in the 8th, Willie turned to the Phillies' secret weapon, Guillermo Mota. True, Mota didn't give up a run, but there's no reason to take Sosa out when the runs were scored on an error by Beltran.
6. I officially hate the Phillies more than the Braves - I didn't think it was possible, but I now dislike a team more than the Braves. Why can't we beat the Phillies? They're first 5 batters are seriously powerful, but there's no reason we shouldn't be killing them. They're starting pitching isn't that good. Their bullpen is even worse. And our starting pitching has taken care of them for the most part.
Man, I hate the Phillies.