Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sports' Power of Healing: September 21, 2001

Over at Bugs and Cranks, Brad Bortone writes possibly the best piece I've ever read about the game that took place between the Braves on September 21, 2001, the first game played in New York City after 9/11.

I remember being home alone that night and watching Mike Piazza own the Braves. Of course the Mets found themselves down 2-1 in the 8th when Piazza came to the plate. You could feel the moment coming and then Piazza, as he tends to always do, came through when we need him most with a 2-run home run.

I remember tearing up as Piazza rounded the bases. It was just a baseball game, but I think everyone who had been close to what happened at 9/11 saw that game and that play as a moment of hope that they will never forget.

I know I never will.

Please visit Bugs & Cranks and read this post on the game that took place on 9/21/2001. I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: