Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Win and A Nice 1-2-3 Punch

Glad we were able to get a “W” today as John Maine was back to form, throwing 5 shut out innings in a rained-shortened game. Reyes was the spark plug, proving once again that when he gets on, the Mets are close to unbeatable. Let’s hope this is a sign of things to come for him.

Jose hit two doubles, scored two runs and stole third base. Lastings Milledge got the scoring started when he singled in Reyes for the first run of the game. David Wright added a run scoring sinlge later, while Ramon Castro hit a 420 ft. blast to center field. I’m looking forward to seeing him get more playing time.

I have to say, I really like seeing Reyes, Milledge and Wright at the top of the order. For one thing, it’s a sweet realization that these three home grown stars are playing together, not too mention, hitting right after one another, but it also makes sense. Hitting Milledge before Wright allows him to see more fastballs and get better pitches to hit while giving the Mets a pretty speedy 1-2-3 punch to kick start the game.

When Beltran eventually returns, Randolph will most likely put him back in the 3rd slot, which I don’t have a big problem with, but I just hope he doesn’t put Milledge in the 8th spot anymore. I think we’ve seen enough from Milledge that he needs to be up in the lineup. And right now, I like him batting second.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I personally like Gotay in the 2 slot, but I agree that Milledge needs to be up in the order. He's been a good RBI man with 2 outs so I'm even ok with him in the 5 or 6 hole. Maybe in front of Alou.