Friday, July 20, 2007

The Mets Batting Order

I heard on WFAN today that Willie Randolph has used 55 different batting orders this season. Of course this includes variants in who the starting pitcher is, but still makes for a ton of lineup changes for only being halfway through the season.

I do feel that it's important to have a standard lineup to go with especially down the home stretch of the season. Batters get in a groove and I think a team clicks better when there's some standard structure to the lineup. Of course there will be days when substitutes are made or it's a day game after a night game, but here I propose what the "every day" starting lineup should be between now and the end of the season:

1. Jose Reyes - easiest selection to make; no brainer
2. Ruben Gotay - until he cools off I like him as a table setter up top
3. Carlos Beltran - part of me wants to drop him in the order, but he should stay
4. David Wright - he's reprising the role of Mike Piazza in 1999, he's going to carry this team
5. Carlos Delgado - I like the way he's starting to swing the bat
6. Moises Alou - if he's healthy, he could knock in 50 RBIs from this spot before the season is over
7. Shawn Green - lefty, righty, lefty, righty, lefty
8. Paul Lo Duca - his at bats are shaky compared to last season, still he's potent #8 hitter.

The only thing I'd like to see and Bryan and I were talking about it this morning is getting Ramon Castro some more at bats. I'd plug him in the 6 or 7 spot and move some other people around when he's in the lineup. Ramon Castro is on a hot streak right now and I think he needs to start playing at least 2-3 games a week. If he starts to falter, you can relegate him back to the bench, but he's too good right now to be riding the pine.

You got all that Willie Randolph? Great, now let's go do it.

No comments: