Saturday, July 21, 2007

This Mets Lifer is Bleary-Eyed, But Happy

It was 1 a.m. on the East coast, but Beltran woke me up with a jolt. I was somewhere inbetween sleep and reality when I saw Carlos Beltran swing at a fastball down the middle of the plate.


Immediately, I jumped up. Gone. You knew it right off the bat, and it's the first time in a long time that Beltran has gotten a big hit late in the game. Beltran has one of the most beautiful swings in the game that it's hard to believe how much he has struggled this year. Last night I think he showed signs of coming out of this funk he is in.


Of course Marlon Anderson continued his one man crusade to make the Dodgers pay for releasing him with a perfectly executed bunt in the 8th that forced Roberto Hernandez to rush a the throw to first and overthrow the bag.


But maybe the most impressive part of last night was Oliver Perez. The guy is guarranteed to give up one run on a home run almost every start. The amazing thing is how he has matured and settles down after giving up a run to keep his team in a position to win. Love the kid's fire and I find myself chuckling everytime he hops over the baseline after an inning.


And today the good times should keep on rolling. The Mets face the pitcher with the highest career ERA against the Mets, Brad Penny. Let's sweep 'em fellas.

No comments: