Monday, July 16, 2007

Moises Alou is Healthy

On the drive home today, Mike Francesa on WFAN's Mike and the Mad Dog declared "Moises Alou is healthy. . .I've seen it with my own eyes."

Well, call me Doubting Thomas, but I won't believe it until I see him take the field at Shea Stadium.

But it looks like Moises Alou wants to prove me wrong earlier than expected. Today in a rehab start down in Florida, Alou hit a solo homer, walked, and singled to mark his return to baseball from what seemed like an eternal hiatus.

Let's not get too excited. I mean he was hitting off of pitchers who just got out of little league. But as Francesa was saying on the air today, Alou LOOKS healthy. It's one thing for a guy to say he's ready, but when someone as critical as Mike Francesa says that Alou looks like he's healthy and ready to play, I find that encouraging. He went as far to say that Alou would be back at Shea when the Mets return from their West Coast road trip.

Another interesting thing to consider is what's going to happen when Alou returns? Will Milledge take a seat on the bench if he continues his hot hitting? I'm sure Alou will need a day off every week, but what's that going to do to the youngster's confidence.

This is why Willie Randolph gets paid the big bucks. Tough decisions, but I'd rather have tough decisions to make with good players than with mediocre ones.

Take a Centrum Silver before bed, Moises. We hope to see you soon.

No comments: