Sunday, July 22, 2007

Baseball in Vancouver

It is rare that I am ever as disconnected from the Mets as I am right now. It doesn’t matter what type of function I have to go to, family gathering that I must attend; I always make it a point to have the game within reach, either by TV or radio. And even when some people think I’m ridiculous for this (maybe even annoyed), my wife fully understands and supports me, which makes her #1 in the wife department.

So, attending a business conference in Vancouver, I not only find myself 3,000 miles away from Shea, but I have to rely entirely on my blackberry to get the pitch-by-pitch, which is really slow because you have to refresh it every few seconds just to see the count change. Needless to say, it was an odd feeling tracking Sunday’s game “live” via this pitch-by-pitch mode. The last inning was agonizing. I kept hitting “refresh” over and over to see the outcome, and when the score changed from 4 to 5, I was pumping a fist…to what amounted to be text on a screen. For me, Chip Ambres is merely a name on the screen, as I don’t really know what he looks like. But what I do know is that he came through with a huge hit and helped propel us to a tremendous victory. Make no mistake, this win is big. Even all the way out here in Vancouver, I feel good.

No comments: