Friday, July 25, 2008

Things I Hate About Shea Stadium

There's a lot of love going around for Shea Stadium. We've got documentaries, articles, books, etc. Believe me I'll miss Shea's memories and we'll shell out some more love for Shea in the coming months, but let's be honest. Shea Stadium is possibly the worst professional sports stadium on the planet.

Here are a number of things I hate about Shea Stadium and can't wait for Citi Field to open:
  1. The bathrooms
  2. The worst choice of concessions
  3. Those neon baseball figures hanging on the outside
  4. The fact that you can't see half the field if you sit under the overhang on the Mezzanine level
  5. The filthy "seat wipes" the ushers use that date back to the opening of the park in 1964
  6. The cheesy retired number decals that hang over the left field fence. They look like oversized "Colorforms" from my days in 2nd grade. Can't we honor our heroes in a better way?
  7. The "Everybody clap your hands" song that plays incessantly throughout the game
  8. Parking underneath the highway
  9. The bathrooms
I'm sure there's more things that no one will miss so feel free to add to the list.

1 comment:

Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Good list. But I've been to a bunch of ballparks, and Shea isn't as bas as you might think.

1) The bathrooms

The one I visited in the Loge last month was clearned than I expected, but a lot smaller, too. But we were able to apply Mr. Met temporary tats in the sink with ease.

2) The worst choice of concessions

I actually thought they were pretty good -- no better or worse than other stadia. I was bummed the knish stand was closed.

3)Those neon baseball figures hanging on the outside

A matter of taste. Unique to Shea.

4) The fact that you can't see half the field if you sit under the overhang on the Mezzanine level

Can't argue with that one.

5) The filthy "seat wipes" the ushers use that date back to the opening of the park in 1964

Oh and you think they're buying new ones when they move? :)

6) The cheesy retired number decals that hang over the left field fence. They look like oversized "Colorforms" from my days in 2nd grade. Can't we honor our heroes in a better way?

The Cubs have them on flags that you can't see very well.

7) The "Everybody clap your hands" song that plays incessantly throughout the game

ABSOLUTELY!! Confiscate the disc. But, again, I think you can expect to hear that again in the new yard.

8)Parking underneath the highway

Better than parking on the street in Detroit!

The bathrooms

See above.

A good read!