Monday, July 7, 2008

Fernando Tatis Saves the Day

I'm in Chicago on vacation and I was forced to watch the Mets (a.k.a. Billy Wagner) blow the game on my Blackberry. Yup I was forced to watch the dismal Gameday pitch by pitch on a 2 inch screen waiting for the 15 second refresh to kick in only to find out Wagner had blown a game the Mets desperately needed.

Sure the Mets left 11 men on base and couldn't drive in a run to save their skin, but they somehow clawed their way to a 2-0 lead in the 9th. Oliver Perez showed that today was a "good day" for his head and his arm. But the credit for saving the day goes to Fernando Tatis.

I honestly thought Tatis was good for a strikeout but he pulled through and even did a little "in your face Phillies" soft step as he crossed home plate. I saw that on the SportsCenter replay.

The Mets have a chance to do the improbable: take 3 games from the Phillies. It's not likely but they have a shot at it. For the first time in a while I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to watch the Mets play. That baseball fever that has evaded Mets fans this season is starting to creep back into the picture. A loss could quelch our excitement, but a win could be just what this club, and their fans, need to propel them into the second half of the season.

No comments: