Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mets Trade Rumors; Jarrod Washburn

Now the rumor mill is really churning. Buster Olney of ESPN.com just posted the idea that the Mets might be interested in Mariners' pitcher, Jarrod Washburn, and how it might be the right fit for the Mets.

Washburn has been linked in trade rumors to the Yankees and other teams, but this is the first I've heard of him being linked to the Mets. To me, this doesn't make much sense. Now Washburn is a solid 4 or 5 starter, but his stat line is unimpressive (+4 ERA, 67 K's in 110+ innings, etc.).

I guess the idea would be that Washburn could add some depth to the rotation with John Maine's current status up in the air and the fact that you don't know how long Pedro Martinez can stay healthy. I wouldn't want to give up any major prospects for Washburn, but I'd throw Marlon Anderson at the M's if they'd take him.

Right now I'm hoping the Mets are focused on the bullpen. You can't have too much pitching, but I'm not crazy about Jarrod Washburn.

To read Buster Olney's commentary, click here.

No comments: