Saturday, April 12, 2008

Santana A Bust At Shea Premiere

All the hype didn't pay off. For once I sat through the half hour pre-game show on SNY. I was pumped for Santana's Shea debut. Part of me wanted to trek out to Queens and even scalp some tickets.

But thankfully I didn't.

Santana has a propensity to give up the long ball and it showed on Saturday afternoon giving up 3 home runs as Santana got outdueled by Ben Sheets.

The highlight of the game for me was the thought that the Brewers might actually be naive enough to bring Guillermo Mota into the game in the 8th inning. That was my shining hope, but it was not to be.

David Wright did end the power drought with a shot to left field. I've heard talk about Citi Field causing wind issues that knock down fly balls, but I wasn't buying it until today. Reyes, Delgado and Beltran all had shots that off the bat I could have sworn were homers but fell short.

The series split is tomorrow with Ollie on the mound against the formidable Jeff Suppan (insert laughter). Seriously though the Mets need to keep winning series and this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

By the way is anyone buying the idea that Prince Fielder is a vegetarian? Oh yeah, I guess Ring Dings aren't considered meat.

2 comments:

bryan said...

I was very disappointed with his performance. He had no fast ball, only topping out at 90, 91.

Steve Gosset said...

Santana's performance didn't justify the boos he got. Sure, the Mets aren't paying him all that money to give up three home runs, but give the guy a break. He's made all of three starts, the first two were high-quality, and one bad outing qualifies him for the same treatment as Scott Schoenweiss. Get real. Can only imagine what Tom Seaver would encounter nowadays should he have had a bad day. Let's cut Johan a little slack. He's earned it and then some.