Sunday, April 13, 2008

I Am Thankful

I am thankful this evening, thankful for not having watched the debacle that took place at Shea earlier this afternoon. Fortunately for me, I took my 2 ½ year old daughter to see a Beatles cover band perform in Manhattan, which was a ton of fun and very kid friendly. When the show ended, I got in my car and quickly turned the game on. Mets were up 6-2 and I was already “putting it in the books” as Howie would say. My daughter then requested to hear some U2 (good taste) for the ride home; I obliged. About a half hour later I turned the game back on only to hear the score was tied up at 6. Ridiculous.

Anyway, as I got home, I turned the game on the tellie, and saw the Mets were down 8-6. Predictable. I proceeded to watch one inning and witnessed Delgado literally drop a ball thrown to him from Wright. That would have been the third out of the inning. Instead, that runner went on to score to give the Brewers a 9-6 lead. Embarrassing.

At this point, I was pretty tired, so my wife, like a good middle reliever, watched my two kids while I went to dose off. (Anyone with kids knows naps are tough to come by so when you get a chance to take one, you jump on it). When I laid down, I unfortunately, put the radio on, volume low, and listened to yet another pathetic moment in the game. With man on first and third, Luis Castillo grounded out to first and Clark was thrown out at home. Delgado popped out to end the inning with the bases loaded. This was the fifth double play in 5 consecutive innings, and the second time the Mets had 1st and 3rd with no outs and didn’t score…against Mota of all people. Awful.

So I am thankful I did not see every inning of this game. Disgusting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a fellow parent, I know the value of a nap. Fortunately I took one between the 5th & 7th innings. I woke up to see Mota on the mound thinking victory was certain! Figures the one team he gets out is the Mets.

Brad said...

I think Looper and Benitez had similar success against the Mets...

...the first time...

I can't wait to see his smug, crack-ridden face the next time we play them.