Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Twenty Blown Saves

Yes, that's right. The Mets bullpen has blown 20 games for the Mets this year. 20.

Now I tried to find a stat that showed how many tie games the bullpen has blown after the 7th inning, but I couldn't find it. I also looked for games that the Mets were down by 1 run after the 7th and the bullpen let up subsequent runs, but I couldn't find that either so I'll estimate.

I'm guessing that there are at least 10 additional games that the bullpen has blown by either giving up runs when the game was tied that doesn't count as a blown save.

So let's say the Mets would have won just 4 of those 10 games. Add that to the 20, yes 20, blown saves this year and the Mets should have an extra 24 wins.

Never mind that. Let's say they only win half of those games. They should have an extra 12 wins. That would leave the Mets with 74 wins and the best record in baseball.

Did you read that correctly? 74 wins and potentially the best record in baseball. So what does this mean?

It means the bullpen is the #1 reason this team is struggling this year. I might even go as far to say that it's a bigger reason for the Mets problems than Willie Randolph was. Randolph was fired, but I see no one leaving Queens from the BLOWpen.

Bryan and I have written about maybe this team is mediocre at best and we should just learn to deal with that fact. But the reality is the BLOWpen is well past mediocre and is knee deep in heinous.

Until something is done to change things we can expect more of the same.

No comments: