Thursday, August 14, 2008

Did You Hear the One About the Mets Being in First Place?

There's this great story I heard this morning. So it starts with this team, who I'll call the Mets, and they've been playing sloppy baseball, making errors, blowing games, not hitting with runners in scoring position among other things. Then one day they wake up, score 12 runs and find themselves magically transported to first place.

And the craziest thing is. . . it's a true story.

Yes folks, this isn't some made for TV movie with Meredith Baxter Birney. I don't know what happened, how it happened, or how long this will last, but the Mets are now tied for first place.

Who thought we'd be in this position after Monday's implosion against the Pirates? I talked with Bryan the other day and predicted that the Mets would be 4 games out by the end of the week. Call me synical, but my Mets experience has molded me into the fan I am today.

Now the Mets have a great opportunity to make a move this week or they could totally crumble. There's one game left with the Nationals this week and then a series against the Pirates in which they should be eagerly seeking revenge. These are teams the Mets have to beat and with the Phillies struggling on the West Coast the timing couldn't be better.

But I'll leave you with this warning. The Mets are a bigger tease than anyone you've ever met so be prepared for some rough waters, but enjoy the ride.

No comments: