Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's Time for the Mets to Sign Pedro Martinez

Jason Bay is apparently our everyday left fielder for major part of the next decade, and on this New Year's Eve I'm finally realizing that the Mets should sign Pedro Martinez.

I was not a fan of the Mets bringing Pedro back last year, but a friend of mine warned me that Pedro would come back with a vengeance and boy was he ever right.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that Pedro will be the Pedro of old, but I think he might be the best free agent pitcher for the Mets. Right now the Mets don't have a gamer outside of Santana. You've got three guys in Pelfrey, Maine & Perez who are the epitome of question marks. Then you've got a young pitcher in Niese who is coming off of a season ending injury and is still making his way in the majors.

The Mets need a veteran pitcher in the worst way. Sure you could sign Ben Sheets and I'd be open to that but not at the current price he is asking. Piniero is ok, but no better than if John Maine returns to normal.

Pedro would only start 25 games at the most, but his clubhouse presence and ability to step up during big games is what the Mets have to have. If Pedro was open to it, I'd see if he would like to take the role of what Roger Clemens did for the Yankees. Plan on coming back in June instead of having to deal with pitching in the cold weather games of April.

Who knows if Pedro wants to come back or if he'll require a multi-year deal. If the Mets aren't making moves to trade for a guy like Carlos Zambrano or another solid #2 starter, I think that at the very least they need to explore bringing Pedro back to Queens.

At the very least he'd fill some seats.

1 comment:

Vegas Rich said...

I have saying this same thing since Oct 2009. I predicted his strong finish and I agree 100% with you. The Mets however never admit to their mistakes, so I don't see it happening.