Tuesday, July 31, 2012

There Are No Fans Like Mets Fans

If you see a bleary-eyed co-worker today, they're probably a Mets fan. If a friend of yours sounds a little sluggish, chances are he/she is a Mets Lifer. If you read a number of misspellings in this post or poor use of grammar, forgive me. I went to sleep around 2:30 a.m.thanks to my beloved Mets.

A West Coast road trip is taxing enough on the players, but the fans feel it as well. I'm not just talking about the late nights. It's the way the Mets play baseball that has the biggest effect.

The Mets played a horrendous game last night defensively despite great pitching from Jeremy Hefner but somehow came back to take the lead. Only to blow it. Only to take the lead. Only to almost blow it again with the final out being a fly ball on the warning track in dead center field.

But half the fun of last night was following my fellow Mets fans on Twitter as we all shared our sorrow, disgust, jubilation and anxiety together online. The same people I saw tweeting at 10 pm were still going strong at 2 a.m. The late night also brings out the wittiest of retorts and was the one thing that kept me from throwing my remote at Bobby Parnell.

Through thick and thin, fun and disappointment, the Mets fans seem to always be there. Hoping, praying and cheering for our New York team.

Let's go Mets!

No comments: