Monday, June 16, 2008

This Team Is Such A Tease

So I'm taking a little Father's Day nap, as the Mets are getting pummeled 8-2 because I know I don't need to watch this disaster. I'm asleep for maybe a half hour when I hear my son walking around upstairs. The TV is still on so I glance at the score.

Holy cow, it's 8-5 bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th! And then it happened. I got sucked in. Of course what then proceeded is one of the dumbest base running moves in all of baseball as Brian Schneider tried to test Milton Bradley's arm. Bradley, Vlad Guerrero and Jeff Franceour all have the same arm so it was an idiotic move whether it was Sandy Alomar's or Schneider's fault.

So I fall back asleep again for 10 minutes or so when I hear this loud roar from the TV. What do you know? It's the bottom of the 9th and it's 8-7. I sit up still stuck somewhere between half asleep and half awake, but I know what's about to happen.

The Mets are teasing me again.

I have visions of Carlos Delgado redeeming himself with a walk-off homer. But no. This team has a way of almost coming back and then falling short. It's the same way that they win 4 games and you think they're about to rattle off 10 in a row only to have them lose 7 of their next 9 games.

It's cruel and unusual punishment. And I was one Robinson Cancel hit away from having it happen again.

No comments: