Friday, August 24, 2007

A Tale of Two Feelings

In Charles Dickens novel, A Tale of Two Cities, he starts with an iconic line that pretty much sums up last night's game as well as the entire series against the Padres. Dickens writes:

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. Last night's emotional roller coaster of a game saw both highs and lows. From the lows of Tom Glavine's pitching performance to the highs of Marlon Anderson's home run. From the highs of tying the game in the ninth to the lows of Heilman giving up a home run in the tenth.

These comeback rallies feel like October baseball, but what makes me feel uncomfortable is that we're losing these games. And our bullpen is completely unreliable. Even Wagner has stumbled. I think Guillermo Mota has some bad pitching disease that is infectious and is spreading throughout the bullpen. The only remedy is to purge the host! Sorry, I'll calm down.

I love these exciting games, but only when we WIN them. The Padres are a tough team with excellent pitching, but the Mets had too many opportunities to win the past two ball games that I can excuse their performance because of the strength of the competition.

I'm a man torn. My only hope is a win tonight from Oliver Perez.

No comments: