Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Is Jorge Sosa Turning Into Aaron Heilman?

It was the summer of 2005 and I was stuck putting together some baby furniture on a muggy July evening. The Mets were playing the Marlins and this young pitcher was pitching for the Mets. For 6 innings, he had a no hitter going and I couldn't believe what I was watching. The game ended up being a one hit shutout, and I was impressed that the Mets were able to find a young pitcher like this who could be a future starter for years to come.

That was the last time I remember Aaron Heilman starting a game for the Mets. He may have started one or two more, but he quickly began his bullpen career. Flash forward to 2007 and I think the Mets are trying to do the same thing with Jorge Sosa.

Sosa started off with a stellar first 6 or 7 starts before hitting a wall. Sosa has never been a dominant pitcher, even when he was with the Braves. So what do you do with a starting pitcher who doesn't have dominant stuff but can pitch well? Throw him in the bullpen.

Sosa has performed well coming out of the bullpen. He seems to give up hits or walks early in the inning, but when he settles in he is able to get command of his slider and get batters out. I was extremely impressed with him in Milwaukee when he had the bases loaded and one out and was able to get out of the inning.

Is Sosa the bullpen help the Mets were looking for at the trading deadline. No, but he is a better option that Guillermo Mota or Scott Schoeneweiss, at least in my opinion.

No comments: