Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hit the Panic Button

If the Mets get swept by the Phillies this afternoon, it's time to hit the panic button. A loss today would give the Mets a 2 game lead over Philadelphia, and with a Braves win a 4 game lead over Atlanta.

Have we been in worse situations this year? Sure, we were only up 1.5 games on Atlanta before Atlanta imploded and we built it back to a 7 game lead.

But here's why I'm concerned, we're going to Turner Field. The Phillies will take a trip to Florida to play the struggling Marlins who can give you a tough game every once in a while. But I fully expect the Phillies to take 2 out of 3 from the Marlins.

Meanwhile I expect the Mets to lose 2 out of 3 to Atlanta. Depending on whether the Mets lose on the same day the Phillies win, we could be heading to Cincinnati in a tie for 1st place with the Phillies.

Sorry, I just felt like I had to throw up.

A win today would give us a 3 game lead and unless we were swept by Atlanta and the Phillies sweep Florida, we would avoid a tie for first by the time Labor Day rolls around. We're still not in good shape, but I'd feel much better if we could grab a win this afternoon.

I'm looking for my Easy button, but all I can find is my Panic button. And I'm ready to use it. Is Willie Randolph?

No comments: