Thursday, August 30, 2007

David Wright Must Lead Us

This morning Matthew Cerrone at Metsblog.com wrote a very interesting post about who the hero of the Mets will be, specifically in today's game and the upcoming series with the Braves.

It got me thinking who the hero will be. It could be Reyes. It could be Alou. I'm pretty sure it won't be Delgado. And I'm absolutely sure that Beltran wants no part of being a hero/leader.

That's why it has to be David Wright. Wright is the leader of this team whether you want to admit it or not. He's been the most consistent bat since May 1 and seems to be the only guy to hit in clutch situation.

In the great Western movie Tombstone, Wyatt Earp is looking for men to step up and fight when Doc Holliday steps in and says, "I'm your huckleberry." The term "huckleberry" in this context actually means the "exact right person for the situation." That's David Wright, and as cheesy as it sounds he's our huckleberry.

I'm calling an opposite field home run for Mr. Wright this afternoon. I think he's ready to take this team on his shoulders. I'm confident Reyes & Castillo will be there to back him up, but I don't think anyone else can carry the load except for David Wright.

This is your team David. Take us home.

No comments: