Thursday, April 10, 2008

Angel Pagan: Not Fade Away

What's been the highlight of this short lived season so far? Hmmm, Santana? I guess, but his pitching prowess is kind of what I expected it should be so for me the highlight is this guy, Angel Pagan.

The only reason Angel is on the Mets right now is because of the injury to Moises Alou. If Alou was healthy and playing, Pagan would be in Triple A right now as Randolph would have claimed Easley, Chavez, & Anderson as his backup outfielders.

But now the guy is the starting left fielder for the New York Mets, and is right now the best offensive performer of this young season. Through the first seven games, Pagan as an OBP of .433 and a slugging percentage of .455.

Now I do realize the season is barely a week old, but Pagan has come out swinging. I love him in the #2 hole, but in the 7 spot he gives us a nice spark in the bottom half of the lineup as well.

Now if Reyes could only play Buffy, to Pagan's Angel the Mets would have a much more potent lineup and a few more wins down the road. I'm just hoping that this is not just a flash in the pan for Pagan and although his numbers right now are staggering I'd love to see him be a consistent on base guy for the Mets even if his slugging numbers drop.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

No comments: