Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Bracket is Busted, It Must Be Time For Baseball

Every college team I needed to win on Friday ended up losing. My bracket is officially busted. As a huge college basketball fan, I was disappointed in the blowout games this past weekend in the Elite 8, but it did cause me to turn to baseball.

On Saturday afternoon I watched the Mets take on the White Sox in a rain drenched exhibition game in Memphis. I normally only watch 2 or 3 innings of exhibition baseball. If the game doesn't count, I find that I don't really care.

But I could taste the season approaching and found myself caught up in the game. John Maine pitched 4 fantastic innings. Beltran homered. Ryan Church looked decent at the plate. And Johan Santana is pitching on Monday.

I just got chills.

The season is almost here and this Mets Lifer feels like it's a few days before Christmas. Let's hope I get what I asked for.

I also love the fact that the Mets are starting the season right in the thick of some NL East matchups against the Marlins, Braves, & Phillies. Tom Glavine will be pitching against the Mets. Oooh baby. Can you say R-E-V-E-N-G-E?

It's a very small way, but still a way, to make a statement to the NL East that the Mets are the team to beat and last year is well behind us.

162 games to play and it all starts in the next 48 hours. Get ready for the long haul. I know I am.

No comments: