Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Mets Win Heals Wounds

As bad as I felt on Friday evening and Saturday morning, there was a wonderful sense of relief on Saturday evening as the Mets beat the Yanks 6-2.

Sigh.

Another loss would have sent this team, and by this team I really mean me, into a tailspin. You needed (again by "you" I really mean "me') a win after such a crushing loss to help ease the pain and put it in the past.

I don't know about you, but  I think I saw Castillo actually running away from infield pop ups on Saturday. But Saturday belonged to Fernando Nieve who really pitched an amazing game with A-Rod's home run being the only blemish on his afternoon of work. Here's a guy who hasn't started a game in 3 years and turns in a gem at one of the most prolific hitter's parks in baseball.

Of course his next start he'll last 3 innings and give up 6 runs.

The statisitc that amazed me the most is David Wright's batting average. Here is a guy who many have said just isn't as good as we thought and is leading the majors, that's right Major League Baseball, in hitting with .365 average. This is the first time a Mets player has ever lead the majors in hitting.

Unreal.

Wright is swinging the bat well and let's just pray he doesn't go into another cold spell any time soon.

One more against the Yanks this afternoon. No one wants a win more than Luis Castillo so people can stop talking about Friday night.

1 comment:

bryan said...

In truth, Nieve's start was a huge boost for this reeling club. He actually made the game pretty uneventful and when was the last time you saw a Mets game that was uneventful?