Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mets Get Robbed as Umpire Helps Phillies Win

I can talk about the army of men the Mets left on base. I can talk about the poor fielding that led to 3 runs for the Phillies in the 7th to tie the game. I can talk about David Wright being a good player, but not great. (The great ones come through in clutch moments). I can talk about how much I can't stand watching Luis Castillo hit. I can even talk about how much we miss Reyes and Delgado. I can talk about all of that. But, unfortunately, all I can think about...and I knew the moment it happened given the way the Phillies have beaten us in recent years...is that blown call by the umpire in the 5th inning when Beltran grouned into an inning ending double play.

He ws clearly safe and not only would a run have scored, but the inning would have continued with Sheffield at the plate. Instead, the umpires's gift to the Phillies enabled them to claw back and literally steal the game. For a team who has not made the post season by one game the last two years, that just plain sucks. It's one of those brutal games that rips your heart out, that makes you toss and turn in bed all night, replaying it over and over in your head.

Sure the Mets had their chances, but the fact is they got robbed!

No comments: