Thursday, February 18, 2010

And So It Begins

Today marks the first official day of spring training. While snow still covers my driveway and winter hats are still necessary for any visit into the city, there's a warm breeze in my mind that has me longing for those sunny days on the diamond.

Spring training signals the coming days of summer when baseball is on every night and day games are an escape from your every day schedule. Even Mets players can feel this spring fever. David Wright is talking about winning. Fernando Nieve is positioning to be a starter. Jose Reyes is working on new dugout dance routines. And the Mets are on the verge of having a bakers dozen's worth of catchers.

Every Mets fan should be pleased...for today. I wrote a post a few weeks ago about how the Mets recent off season moves and lack of direction in the front office had me for the first time not looking forward to spring training. Well I spoke too soon. Now that it's hear, I do feel that baseball fever flowing through my veins. It's most definitely a virus of some sort. It's the sickness I've been plagued with for most my life.

It's called being a Mets fan.

No comments: