Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No Joy in Upcoming Mets Spring Training


Spring training was at one time a season of hope, joy and wonder. Those days are gone and have been replaced with discouragement, agida, and disbelief.

The last two seasons the Mets had made off season moves that gave Mets fans some hope for the coming year. The 2010 season lacks the silver lining that we had been fooled with in prior years. With pitchers and catchers reporting in just a few weeks, I personally have no excitement about the season to come.

The issues the Mets needed to deal with are still unresolved. The Mets enter 2010 with the exact same starting rotation as they did last year which delivered them a next to last place finish. Sure the Mets added a solid bat in Jason Bay, but now have an injured Carlos Beltran, a question mark at first base and a reliance on bounce back years from their star players in Wright and Reyes.

The free agents the Mets were supposedly targeting, whether you liked them or not, have been picked off by other contenders. Molina, Piniero, Halladay, Sheets, Garland, Figgins, and a laundry list of other players the Mets allegedly were focusing on are gone.

What is there to look forward to?

I love baseball. I'm a die hard Mets fan so I will be begrudgingly sucked into every Mets game, but I've lost any hope that this team can and will succeed in 2010.

The Mets are reliving their past. This team reeks of the 2003 or 1994 teams that relied on mid-level moves and the promise of player improvement to lead to success but ends up falling well short of any worthwhile goal.

I want to be wrong. I want to eat crow. But I don't think I will.

1 comment:

Sam Smith said...

I disagree. Last year and this year are far from the same. Last year the mets had more injuries than any baseball since the plague. A healthy Jose, healthy Beltran, healthy Johan- these are all huge differences. Spring Training + Jason Bay = Some hope. I don't think we are making the playoffs, but w/e.