Sunday, November 1, 2009

Switching Horses in the Middle of the World Series

I've already detailed how tough a World Series this is for me as a Mets fan, and in a post last week I wrote about how I was going to pull for the Yankees instead of seeing the Phillies win back-to-back titles.

But a funny thing has happened while watching the first three games of this series, I found myself secretly pulling for the Phils.

I had no intention of doing this, but when A-Rod struck out three times the other night and Jeter hit into a double play I noticed a peculiar smile appearing on my face. In my mind I know I don't want Philly Nation to have the satisfaction of yet another title, but in my heart of hearts I just can't pull for the Yankees.

During the first three games of the series I secretly wanted Mariano Rivera to blow a save in front of the entire nation. I grinned as Utley sent a ball to Utley's Porch of the Bronx. I even went against everything I believe in by cheering for Victorino to throw out Swisher at home plate during last night's rain drenched game.

Why? Call it being a lifelong National Leaguer. Call it rooting for the "underdog." Call it being against evil. Whatever you call it, it's uncomfortable. But with the Phils down two games to one this Mets Lifer is switching horses.

Go National League. (I can't say it)

1 comment:

bryan said...

I have found myself rooting for the away team actually. Whenever the home team fans get up and go crazy, I want them to sit down and shut up immediately. Lke last night, when Feliz hit the HR in the 8th, I couldn't wait for them to get silenced!