Thursday, October 16, 2008

Waiting for Mike Scioscia

Every Mets Lifer who can remember the 1988 NLCS cringes when they hear the name Mike Scioscia. His home run off the untouchable Doc Gooden sent the 1988 Mets into a tailspin and ultimately was the turning point for the Mets fortunes for years to come.

Now it's almost 20 years later, and I'm waiting for another Mike Scioscia moment. This time for the Phillies.

The fighting Phils are headed to the World Series. As much as I dislike them (especially Shane Victorino), they deserve to be there. They've played well and always seem to win when they need to.

But that said, I still would love to see them make it all the way to the World Series only to have their title hopes crushed by a modern day Mike Scioscia. Call it bitterness. Call it hate. Call it whatever you want. I gotta root for something.

2 comments:

bryan said...

there would be nothing sweeter than lidge blowing his first game of the year in Game 7, with a 2 run lead.

metgirl4ever said...

Agreed! I would so love that. A coworker felt the need to email me pic of Phillies 2008 NLCS shirt, so I told him how I really felt. Apparently I was rude.