Monday, April 26, 2010

The Demise of a Mets Antagonist

Dear Larry (a.k.a. Chipper),

Just wanted to send you a quick note. After all these years I felt that I owed it to you. This past weekend, you weren't yourself. You can blame it on injury or the rain or the fact that your team just isn't that great, but we all know what's going on here. Larry, you're getting old.

I've watched it firsthand with Mike Piazza. You've seen it with Ken Griffey, Jr. But for some reason I never thought I'd see it with you, Larry. You own the Mets. You have cause so much destruction to this team that Armando Benitez is jealous. You have been the epitome of all that Mets fans despise and want at the same time. You scoff in our faces and name your children as a way to mock Mets fandom.

How can this come to an end? This love/hate relationship. It feels too soon and so right at the same time.

I love watching you fail as you muff infield fly balls and screw up little league throws to first base, but it makes me sad at the same time. Ok, I'm not sad for very long because I'm laughing at you, but a little piece of me is sorry to see this evil dance of antagonism between us come to an end.

You're no long a fearsome presence Mr. Jones. Who thought this day would ever come, but I guess I'll relish it.

Sincerely,
Mets Lifers everywhere

No comments: