Friday, November 30, 2007

Mr. Milledge Goes to Washington

This was not the trade we've been waiting for and it perplexes me more than interests me. Today the Mets sent Lastings Milledge to their divisional rival, the Washington Nationals, for C Brian Schneider and OF Ryan Church.

Why? Who knows. And please somebody explain it to me if you do know.

Now the Mets will have 3 catchers on their roster in Schneider, Castro & Estrada so I'm assuming one of them has to go. And we've replaced a potential young star in Milledge who was one of our best hitters with runners in scoring position last year with a slightly older, but still young outfielder who bats around .270.

I know Ryan Church has hit well against the Mets in the past, but I think every National looked like a Hall of Famer against the Mets the last week of the season. Is there something in Ryan Church that we don't see? Would you rather see Church in right field than Gomez or Milledge?

It just doesn't make any sense, but I trust Omar has a great plan in place that us plebeians cannot contemplate. The only player on the Nationals that I'd even remotely be interested in is Chad Cordero.

Instead I got Brian Schneider (who is at least a somewhat younger catcher and can play some D) and a middle of the road outfielder in Ryan Church.

Someone wake me up when we sign Dan Haren.

1 comment:

The Adjunct Professor said...

I can only hope that there are a few things involved here. First that Minaya knows something about these two players from his time in Montreal. Second that there are other deals in the works and he needed these two guys to be able to deal other individuals (such as Estrada, or even Endy if the return is great) and third that he feels a catcher like Schneider enhances his chances of bringing in and keeping a top notch starting pitcher.

All that said, I still think we could have gotten these two players for less than Milledge.

At this point I can only hope and pray it works out.