Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Beltran Whining Again

There are certain things in sports that you can you predict based on the time of year. If it's NFL training camp, you can expect Michael Strahan not to show up. If it's preseason basketball, we can expect Allen Iverson not to show up for practice.

And of course if it's spring training, we know that Carlos Beltran is going to talk about how he's not 100%. Here's Beltran's quote in this morning's Journal News:

“I don’t feel 100 percent, but I hope to be by the start of the season. I couldn’t play anymore like that. I didn’t feel pain as much as I did weakness…I just want to be 100 percent and to be able to do a lot more.”

Ok. I really like Beltran. I think he has tremendous talent and does a lot of things really well that the Mets need from a centerfielder. But come on Beltran, you're a major leaguer. Suck it up and play. How many times did we hear Piazza or Carter or Dykstra complain about not being 100%. None. They all had injuries that plagued them but they're professionals and they know that there's no excuse for not going out there and giving your all on the field.

The Mets need Beltran both at the plate and in the field to be GIVING 100% whether or not he feels 100%. That's all I ask and for the amount of money he's getting that the least we should expect from him.

1 comment:

bryan said...

and if nothing else, please stop telling everyone how you're not 100% ALL the time. I agree, I like beltran, and he's a main cog, but enough is enough with this complaining. suck it up.