Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sometimes It's Painful to Be Right

I can't tell you  how many comments I received from angry Mets fans over the past two years when I lobbied for the Mets to go get Roy Halladay. I wanted to give up prospects. Give up every day players. Give up pretty much anyone to get a Halladay/Santana tandem at the top of the rotation.

The arguments I heard included comments about Halladay's age, he's never been to the playoffs,  you're wasting the future of the franchise on a small market pitcher...yada, yada, yada.

And here we have proof positive: Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball. Period. It's not just the fact that he pitched a no-hitter last night. Or that it was his second no-no of the year. It's the fact that he's a winner. Every time he steps on the mound you're guaranteed 8+ innings of 3 runs or less (most likely less) and the guys a fighter.

Omar could have saved his job if he got Halladay. I'm not saying the Mets would have been World Series champs, but they'd be a heck of a lot better.

So I leave you with a post from July 2009...
http://metslifers.blogspot.com/2009/07/mets-have-to-get-roy-halladay.html

...and a confession...I was cheering for Halladay...and the Phils...

No comments: