Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Annoyance that is Mike Francesa

I have grown up listening to WFAN in New York. I love the station and it's always the #1 spot on my car radio. However, I can't stand Mike Francesa.

When it was Mike & the Mad Dog (or the Jerk & the Fatman as Imus used to call them), I could deal with them. Chris Russo was good for a crazy rant and Mike would call him down. Both were total anti-Mets personalities so I did find it annoying that the most listened to drive time sports program in New York had guys that were totally against my favorite team.

But it's gotten worse.

With the Mad Dog off on satellite radio, Francesa has for the last few years been the lone voice during the largest block of sports programming on radio. The Mets hating continues and the "pope of sports" is left repeating himself for 5 hours a day, yet he continues to dominate sports radio. There really isn't an alternative

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just Mets fans that get annoyed by Mike "I Repeat Everything I Say 20 Times" Francesa. So I headed over to Facebook and asked my Yankee fan friends to chime in. Turns out they can't stand Francesa either.

Here are some of the comments I got when I asked if they found Francesa annoying & repetitive:
-Yes I do. Yes. He is anoying. Yes. He's repetitive. Yes I agree with you. Annoying. Yes.
-He is a nightmare - maddog was very valuable - he took up half of the broadcast whic was better than a whole broadcast of francesa...... He thinks he is the "all knowing" of sports...
-I think he's annoying, and his callers are bumbling morons!
-I just remember listening to him growing up and wanting to punch myself in the face
-yes, he's annoying... i used to think maddog was annoying, but i agree w Gary that he somehow made it bearable bc it wasn't just francesa droning on and on. As yankee fans, we have few options... Sterling and Waldman are the worst! i guess Kay is the lesser evil? sad.
So it's not just me and it's not just Mets fans. I will say this about Francesa - he does a good job with covering the NFL. But do we have to listen to him the other 8 months out of the year. Why isn't someone doing something about this?

Don't even get me started with that Mike'd up theme song...

P.S. I've loving Joe & Evan as his replacements while he's on vacation.

No comments: