Friday, August 24, 2012

RA Dickey is an Inspiration

This past week I've found myself back in a familiar place: being down on the Mets. It's an annual rite of passage Mets fans take when things predictably fall apart. There's nothing wrong with being down on this team. I still love them. I still cheer for them. But man they are frustrating to watch.

A friend forwarded me this video of Eric Fleming who works for the Corcoran Group in New York City, and it made me realize what an amazing thing we have this year in R.A. Dickey. Not just the magical Cy Young worthy run that he's making, but the fact that he is an incredible story and should be an inspiration to us all.

In an era of performance enhancing drugs, liars, cheaters and guys who just won't go away (ahem, Clemens), Dickey is a rarity. A humble, unselfish guy who is a wunderkind on the mound and from reading his book an even remarkable person.

Watch Eric's video and try to appreciate what we as Mets fans have been able to enjoy in RA Dickey in spite of blowpens, bad contracts and losing streaks. Don't lose sight of the good in the shadow of the bad.

No comments: